Welcome to the Nurse’s Office!
What does the school nurse do? Here’s a glimpse:
• Maintain health records of all students – this includes:
- immunizations - please make sure your child’s are up to date before school starts o Maintain physical exam records - recommended by the district o health history – this includes medical diagnoses, surgeries, current medications (given at home as well as school), allergies (seasonal, drug, food, life threatening), and any other pertinent health information about your child
• Assess and treat illness or injury – Whether it’s a scraped knee, tummy ache, fever, or more serious issue such as allergic reaction, broken bone or concussion - I am the first responder to any medical need.
• Monitor & treat chronic health conditions – such as asthma (each child needs to bring their own nebulizer), diabetes, seizure disorders, severe allergies, etc.
• Administer medication – The district policy allows medication to be given at school if parent authorization AND physician authorization forms are completed. This applies to prescription AND over-the-counter medication. These forms are available in my office, as well as on my webpage on the Pinnacle Charter school website.
• Hearing and vision screenings – Students in kindergarten, K, 1st, 2nd,3rd, and 5th 7th, 9th grades are screened routinely. However, screenings can be performed at any time for any student if a parent or teacher expresses concern.
• Participate in Care Team 504 coordinator – to address and support a student’s health issues
• “Emotional band-aids” – Sometimes a child is sad, homesick, or overwhelmed in class and just needs some TLC! A little one-on-one attention and a patient, willing ear are often all it takes to help a child rejoin the classroom. I work closely with the counselors and teachers to ensure your child is happy and safe at school!
If you have any questions or concerns please call or e-mail me – I check my phone and e-mail messages upon arrival each morning and throughout the day.
Health Clinic Staff: Susan Mascorro, Andy Smith, Sonia Rodriguez
Phone: 303-450-3985 ext.1022 · Fax: 720-274-2056 · Email: email@example.com